Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:17:00 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: POMELO

Hi,

I first brought this up as part of a broader discussion of PHC
candidates on the panel list earlier this month, and I think it's my
duty to post it to the public discussions list.  So here goes.
(I am reusing pieces from two of my postings to the panel list, and
adding some more content/clarifications here.)

POMELO claims to be resistant to SIMD attacks.  First, I think we need
to clarify: this may only apply if the hardware lacks efficient gather
loads - a detail which may be obvious, but is somehow missing from the
author's analysis.  A lot of current and planned general-purpose chips
(AVX2 and AVX-512 capable CPUs, Xeon Phi, many GPUs) do have gather
loads (of varying efficiency), so I think this must not be omitted.
In the below paragraph, I assume that hardware does lack efficient
gather loads:

I think POMELO partially fails at anti-SIMD, despite of claims in its
specification document.  It defeats SIMD for defense (if we don't
consider hashing multiple passwords within one instance, which is
cumbersome and is a risk), but not as much for attack.  In fact, I think
there's a tradeoff here as it relates to possible POMELO tweaks (if
limited to the currently hard-coded parameters): it can defeat SIMD more
fully, but become even less suitable (slower) for large memory hashing.

Samuel Neves confirmed the understanding that "POMELO does seem to allow
some vectorization" (_not_ relying on gather loads), and asked for more
detail on the tweak I had in mind.  Here it is:

I meant simply making those data-dependent accesses in H more frequent,
by removing the "i mod 4 == 3" condition or making this a tunable
parameter ("i mod freq == (freq - 1)" or "i mod freq == 0").  Maybe G
should have the same tweak applied, or maybe not (or maybe it should
have its access frequency tunable separately).

Comparison of POMELO tweaked as above against bcrypt and other schemes,
not limited to the SIMD aspect (will also apply for MIMD, as long as
global memory is accessed and behaves similar to how it does on current
CPUs and GPUs):

Since F takes roughly as much time as a Blowfish round does (but F lacks
data-dependent accesses), doing one data-dependent access per H
invocation (rather than one per four H invocations, as it is done now)
means that step 6 will perform these accesses "only" ~4 times less
frequently than bcrypt does (as opposed to ~16 times less frequently, as
is the case now), but at the same amount of parallelism that bcrypt has
(since the four Blowfish S-box lookups can be performed in parallel).
As a result, step 6 will become about as local memory attack resistant
as bcrypt is, but still ~4x less resistant (than bcrypt) to global
memory attacks (as long as the memory usage per instance is low enough
that we don't bump into total global memory size).  Since a half of the
total running time will be spent in step 4, overall POMELO with this
tweak and at bcrypt-like defensive memory usage might be ~2x weaker than
bcrypt at local memory attacks and ~8x at global memory attacks.  Of
course, it is meant to be used at higher m_cost - in fact, m_cost = 0
corresponds to 8 KiB, which is twice the bcrypt's size.  8 KiB should
actually work fine on typical defenders' systems, but once we exceed L1
cache size, POMELO with this tweak should see performance impact similar
to what we see with Pufferfish - well, maybe up to ~4x lower impact,
though, because the data-dependent lookups are ~4x less frequent.  It
will take some benchmarking to see at what m_cost settings such tweaked
POMELO is fast enough compared to other PHC candidates.  Not tweaking G
or otherwise making its access frequency much lower than H's may help
here (making step 4 take considerably less time than step 6 does).

One aspect I have not considered in the analysis above is that POMELO's
data-dependent accesses in H are read-writes, as opposed to bcrypt's
pure reads.  This may make POMELO up to 2x more resistant to some of the
attacks above (where it'd mean twice more accesses over the memory bus),
but it may also mean that it'd run somewhat slower defensively than it
would with pure reads.  Yet I think these read-writes are a good idea
at least when POMELO is used at low m_cost (corresponding to L1 cache).

Overall, I like POMELO's simplicity and it trying to work well over a
wide range of possible m_cost settings, yet I think this combination (of
simplicity and wide range) makes it sub-optimal at most settings.

Alexander