lists.openwall.net   lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  linux-hardening  PHC 
Open Source and information security mailing list archives
 
Hash Suite for Android: free password hash cracker in your pocket
[<prev] [next>] [thread-next>] [day] [month] [year] [list]
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 09:22:23 +0100
From: Milan Broz <gmazyland@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Another PHC candidates "mechanical" tests

Hi all,

I run some simple tests with almost all PHC candidates
(plus Catena2 and RIG2 submitted here).

Maybe it could be useful, it is in fact it is kind of an independent extension
what Bill Cox sent here for reviews.

The long description with pictures here
  http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/mbroz/PHCtest/blob/master/output/index.html

Code and raw output is on github https://github.com/mbroz/PHCtest

These are all just playing with PHS() as a black-box function with default parameters
and usually using reference (not optimized) variant. (IOW performance comparison makes no sense.)

Really mechanical tests here but better redundant tests than nothing (I hope).

In short (more details in html above):

- Trivial dieharder test - nothing new except known Tortuga fail
(and Pufferfish if not fixed to produce raw output)
(I run this mainly to find apparent mistakes like that Pufferfish hexa encoding.)

- Simple portability test (I tried to compile it on big endian 32bit system
and run vectors generated on x86_64)
I know that in the first round the code quality is primary goal but...
  - many makefiles support only Intel extensions
    (I think at least some reference code should be portable)
  - even if fixed, many algorithms fails test vectors generated on x86_64

- I tried to visualize real used memory (measured by rusage()) and
run time with variable mcost/tcost (and generate some fancy graphs:-)

- I run variable input/output test to check if it influences run time (see graphs).
(Seems that EARWORM and MCS_PHS have apparent run time dependence on length...)

As a side-effect, there is a lot of input parameter validation problems.
Most algorithms seems to be checked mainly for 32bytes hash output only.

Again, not a big problem now but later validation of input parameters should probably improve.

Just some of them:
 - Argon implementation allows to produce non-random hash without error if requested length is > 32 bytes,
   similar problem for >255 input

 - Catena/Catena2 implementations allows to produce hash of length >256 bytes, which is apparently wrong

 - Yescrypt seems to produce different hash for 32bytes length than for other requested lengths
   if it is intended (and not my mistake) then probably PHS() should fail for other req. output

(Links to detailed test outputs are in html file above.)

If there is at least some useful info or you have an idea which mechanical test could
be added (I would like to do more testing for 2nd round candidates anyway), please let me know.

Thanks,
Milan

Powered by blists - more mailing lists