Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 17:32:03 -0800
From: epixoip <epixoip@...dshell.nl>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] How important is salting really?

(Top posting because you did.)

Sorry, but that's not correct.. No one is using salts now, and we still
don't use rainbow tables.

Rainbow tables are massive, slow, and don't scale worth crap. GPUs are
the reason rainbow tables are considered deprecated.

Bitweasil is correct -- the primary advantage to salting today is the
factor of N slowdown in cracking. If you have 1M unique salts, then your
effective speed is 1/1000000 of your total speed. 30 GH/s becomes 30
KH/s. It limits the types and variety of attacks we can run.

But salting alone is insufficient. For each hash we crack a salt is
eliminated and never checked again. Therefore our attacks speed up with
each hash we crack. Using the example above, if our effective speed is
30 KH/s then that means it would take ~20 seconds to run through the top
10k passwords.  If 40% of the people are using a top 10k password, then
we only have 600k salts left and our effective speed has increased to 50
KH/s after just one dictionary.