Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:09:59 -0800
From: epixoip <epixoip@...dshell.nl>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] How important is salting really?

On 12/22/2014 5:46 PM, Ben Harris wrote:

> On 23/12/2014 8:49 am, "Jeremy Spilman" <jeremy@...link.co
> <mailto:jeremy@...link.co>> wrote:
> > Another way to look at it, what is the minimum amount of entropy a
> password would need under the hashing scheme to resist an offline
> attack given some assumed resource and time constraint? E.g. For 2,048
> MD5, lets say I can target a single account with $10,000 of hardware
> and achieve 50 MH/s, or 30 trillion guesses in a week's time, that's
> going to successfully crack what percentage of user-chosen passwords?
> >

> First question is what percentage of user-chosen passwords are on a
> dictionary (probably a range depending on the community). For the
> remainder you'd need to guess the percentages that are
> guessable-by-candidate-generation and those that are
> fully-randomly-generated. There might be an in between group.
>
> Those on a dictionary will fall very quickly (time and money cost is
> very low), the candidate generation ones are a little slower (I don't
> have the data to guess with), and the random ones are the slowest with
> the highest time and money cost.
>
> Roughly, an 8 character randomly generated alphanumeric password (no
> symbols) is about 48 bits of entropy. With your 50MH/s rate that is
> almost 26 bits per second, giving about 2 months to check all the
> options (300W@.../kWh gives about $100 in electricity). Each
> additional character is ~64 times slower and more expensive.
>
> N.B. did the calcs on my phone while typing so numbers may be off.

Remember that 2048 rounds of MD5 equates to about a 4066x slowdown as
compared to raw MD5, due to the fact that many of the optimizations we
apply to raw MD5 cannot be applied to PHPass. This was covered further
in the comments. So while a 290X can pull 12.2 GH/s on raw MD5, it can
only pull 3 MH/s on PHPass with 2048 iterations. Cut this speed in half
for large hash lists since AMD has a shitty memory controller.

In order to get 50 MH/s out of a single PHPass hash you'd need 16x 290X.
The retail price for a system with 8x 290X is $18,499 and will draw
about 3800W from the wall. So for two 8x 290X systems you're looking at
$36,998 in hardware costs (for the sake of simplicity we'll ignore the
cost of the cluster controller and networking gear) and will draw about
7.6 kW, not including cooling costs. To exhaust 62^8 keyspace with this
cluser would take ~50.5 days and cost ~ $1842.24 @ $0.20/kWh. Average
PUE in 2014 is 1.7 so actual electricity cost would be more like $3684.48.

And that's just for a single hash. For 400k salts (which is what Sc00bz
estimated in the comments) the effective rate with 16x 290X would only
be about 63 H/s.