Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 04:54:47 -0800
From: epixoip <epixoip@...dshell.nl>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Tweaks will no longer be accepted

We don't really have a "round 1" or "round 2." But if you wish to view
"selection of finalists" as round 1, and "selection of winners" as round
2, then we are still in round 1. We've not yet started round 2.

There was indeed a 7-week period where finalists were permitted to make
minor last-minute tweaks to their submissions before proceeding to
"round 2." Many of the tweaks that were submitted were driven by
feedback received from this discussion list, while others were tweaks
that the authors simply felt needed to be made. The PHC Status Report
that the panel is currently finalizing does not provide any feedback on
areas where finalists may improve; it simply provides the panel's
rationale for why some algorithms advanced, and others didn't. It
possibly provides feedback on areas where non-finalists could improve,
but this would be irrelevant as non-finalists are not advancing to
"round 2."

I understand the frustration that some non-finalist authors are
experiencing due to us not yet publishing the PHC Status Report. They
are naturally anxious to know why their candidates did not advance. And
I fully agree that the report should have been published by now, and
ideally should have been published at the time the finalists were
announced. Unfortunately things did not work out that way, as we've
experienced many delays and setbacks. The only consolation I can offer
is that the report is indeed almost finished and will be published
within the next two weeks, well in advance of us starting "round 2."

Regardless, the publication of the PHC Status Report has no bearing on
the "tweaking phase," nor will it have any bearing on the outcome of
"round 2." It simply serves as a way to formally close out "round 1."