Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 07:57:47 +0100
From: Milan Broz <gmazyland@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Another PHC candidates "mechanical" tests

On 03/24/2015 04:45 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> To add to the proper thread:
>
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 10:21:22AM +0100, Milan Broz wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, and yes.  256-bit (32 bytes) is a special case usable for
>>> yescrypt's builtin support for "server relief".  For other output
>>> lengths, that functionality is not applicable, so the corresponding
>>> post-processing is bypassed.  For uses of yescrypt that don't care about
>>> "server relief" (which most of them won't), this should not matter.
>>
>> Ah, missed this. Thanks for explanation!
>
> This has changed in the tweaked yescrypt (currently listed as v1 on the
> PHC website).  While 256-bit is still the hash length to use for server
> relief (and now also for upgrades), it is no longer special in terms of
> (not) bypassing the corresponding post-processing (which is now invoked
> for any output length, even when it's not usable for server relief).
>
>>> (yescrypt-lite will probably only support 32 byte output, so will invoke
>>> those code paths unconditionally.)

>>> Why?  The PHC call for submissions doesn't say anywhere that PHS()
>>> output for a shorter length should be a prefix of its output for a
>>> longer length.  In other words, the requested output length might or
>>> might not affect any/all output bits.
>>
>> Yes. But the "32 bytes special case" is IMHO confusing.
>
> OK, it no longer is a special case in this respect.
>
>>> In fact, now that you bring this up, I think a slight improvement might
>>> be to always have the requested output length affect all of the output
>>> bits, even if just to avoid any confusion of this sort ("hey, there's a
>>> special case here").
>>
>> Exactly! I think if it is dependent of output length then it should
>> be for the whole set. But just my 2 eurocents... :)
>
> Since yescrypt is also able to compute classic scrypt, I opted to make
> it behave the same as classic scrypt does.
>
> Thus, yescrypt v1's output for a shorter length is always a prefix of
> its output for a longer length.  I'd appreciate you re-testing yescrypt
> for this property.

Well, once you reopen this thread...

Actually I already run this test for all 2nd round candidates
but did not have time to polish & publish output yet

(I tried to include all submissions including new Catena versions and Argon2 and
if possible even SSE optimized versions.)

The underlying code is "ready" (https://github.com/mbroz/PHCtest/tree/master/hash_libs
with quilt style patches to show fixes).

There are a lot of engineering issues (endianess, crashes, ...), I will try to send
a list of them to the list today, it need more context comments.

Thanks,
Milan

p.s.
My intention is to test KDF (for usage in cryptsetup FDE) on some real use case
so I will add that testcase output here. It was intended for some workshop paper later
but probably it is better time to publish it here for now.