Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 15:34:44 +0200
From: Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Argon2

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

>> means that the block latency is not 16 pwxform calls+ 8 Salsa rounds,
>> but far smaller, only the equivalent of 4 pwxform+8 Salsa rounds.
>
> No.  Where does the number 4 come from?

Let me reformulate. Pwxform operates lanewise and can be fully
parallelized up to the lane level. What I meant is that you get only
1-lane latency for the entire sub-block. You do not have to know an
entire subblock to compute the next one, so the total latency of
Blockmix is 16 1-lane pwxform. This value I divided by 4; maybe I was
incorrect if you implicitly took this into account, and by latency of
32 sequential pwxform's meant "latency of 32 sequential 1-lane
pwxform's" (should there be 16, not 32?).

Well, you may consider the same for Argon2, since the Blake2b round
also has internal parallelism, and the round latency is only 2
quarterround latencies. A fair comparison between the latencies of the
two schemes becomes difficult at this level, I feel. Whereas Argon2
has definitely more parallelism inside, it also synchronizes much more
often, whereas yescrypt synchronizes the lanes only in Salsa.

What we can do, for example, is to draw up for each scheme a chain of
operations that must be sequential. For Argon2, I see a chain of 16
additions, 16 XORs, and 16 rotations, which depend sequentially on one
another. Such a chain exists for every 64-bit word of the 1 KB-block.
For yescrypt's pwxform, I see a chain of 2 multiplications (or S-box
calls), 2 XORs, 2 additions - for first subblock, 4 mults, 4 XORs, 4
additions - for the second subblock, etc., up to 32 mults, 32 XORs, 32
additions for the last subblock + Salsa.

For me these two sets of chains look comparable, and almost equal in
average length.

> Yes, it can be computed lanewise up until the final Salsa20/8, but
> that's a non-issue.  In fact, this flexibility may be somewhat useful on
> register-starved archs.  pwxform() in yescrypt-opt.c actually partly
> takes advantage of this: it has the loops re-ordered to be
> gather{rounds{simple}} rather than rounds{gather{simple}}, for some
> slight speedup on register-starved archs.  yescrypt-opt.c does not take
> this to the BlockMix level, but it could.
>
> Do you think this has any drawback, and why?

I understand. I do not know yet if it is a drawback since I have not
found an attack. I must check some ideas, also on your S-box
generation...

>> Do I understand yescrypt right?
>
> I think not.  Perhaps I need to describe it better, including the
> expected latencies.

So do I understand it now?:)

>> > That's cool, but that's 8192-bit parallelism, right?
>>
>> I would like to comment on this as well, but I do not quite understand
>> how you measure the parallelism. Maybe the compression function
>> picture in Argon2 specification helps.
>
> I was looking primarily at your code.  I saw 16 BLAKE2 rounds, of which
> 2 groups of 8 had data dependencies between the groups.  This appears to
> be consistent with what you're saying.  Right?

Right.

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Khovratovich