Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:10:06 +0200 (CEST)
From: Stefan.Lucks@...-weimar.de
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Another PHC candidates "mechanical" tests (ROUND2)

Dear Honjun,

> Anyway, I will provide more analysis of POMELO in the updated report.

I am looking forward to reading the updated report. It is a pity that you
did not already provide this analysis!

> BTW, I think that it is not necessary to use strong crypto primitive
> (such as strong hash function) in the design of password  hashing
> scheme, especially if we want to process large amount of memory in a
> fast way.   Eventually it turns out that a number of second round
> candidates need to cut the round number significantly.   I feel that it
> is no longer true that those PHC candidates are based on strong crypto
> primitives, although they are still very strong.

Having spent a significant amount of my scientific career with
cryptanalysing primitives, I feel the urge to comment on this. There are
two extreme choices to design a password hashing function (or anything
else with required cryptographic strength):

(1) A construction based on an underlying strong primitive, with a formal
reduction that the password hash function is secure if the primitive is
secure.

(2) A novel primitive of its own right.

If the underlying primitive is already well-studied, (1) greatly
simplifies cryptanalysis -- and makes it much less likely that any
unexpected weaknesses are eventually discovered. Choice (2) is more
difficult, but also more interesting and hopeful for the cryptanalysts.

There is also a middle ground:

(1.5) A password hash function based on the round function of an
underlying strong primitive.

In this case, some of the cryptanalysis of the underlying primitive is not
applicable any more, but some still is. And, while there is no immediate
relationship between breaking the new construction and breaking the
underlying primitive, an attack on the new construction could well
undermine the trust into the underlying primitve.

Finally, a benefit of (1) and, to a lesser extent, (1.5) is that a user
not willing to trust the proposed primitive can apply the same
construction based on a different primitve. With (2), one can either use
the primitive given, or not.

Stefan

------  I  love  the  taste  of  Cryptanalysis  in  the morning!  ------
uni-weimar.de/de/medien/professuren/mediensicherheit/people/stefan-lucks
--Stefan.Lucks (at) uni-weimar.de, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, Germany--