Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 00:21:20 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Compute time hardness

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 10:20:42PM +0200, Dmitry Khovratovich wrote:
> There is also a PhD thesis on the topic http://infolab.stanford.edu/pub/cstr/reports/csl/tr/94/617/CSL-TR-94-617.pdf

Thank you!

> But anyway, as 32-bit multiplication is equivalent to a sum of 16 (average) addends, it can not be more than 4x slower given sufficient area (which we have).

What are you averaging here?  I think we shouldn't.  I think it's 32.

So I think it's 1 AND + 5 ADD.  And we shouldn't ignore that feeding
each input bit to 32 ANDs probably requires buffers.

In that PhD thesis you referenced above, see page 136 (page 151 in PDF).
It shows the summation network corresponds to 49% of total delay in
their chosen multiplier.  In fact, it says: "The delay effects of the
other pieces of a multiplier are at least as important as the summation
network in determining the final performance."

On page 126 (141), there's a comparison of delays in their different
designs, with the fastest at 2.6 ns (I think for 0.6 um process) and
their "optimal" one (for which the 49% figure applied) I think at 3.0 to
4.0 ns.  (I'd need to read the thesis closely to find out exactly which
variation was talked about later.)  This data is also given in a table
on page 119 (134).

For comparison, pages 100-101 (115-116) show delays for carry-save
adders as function of load capacitance.  These start at 30 to 130 ps and
go up to 60 to 230 ps for load of 100 fF, and further to 300 ps to 1400
ps for load of 1000 fF.

I'm no expert, but I guess the load on adders in a Blake2b circuit
wouldn't be the highest (by far), but even if we pick 300 ps (for the
fastest CSA under the worst circumstances), it's still 2600/300 = ~8
times slower than the fastest multiplier.  That's for 53x53, but OTOH
we didn't have to assume the highest load on the adder.  Per page 97
(112), driving another CSA may be only 25 fF, so 40 times lower than the
worst case we've (unnecessarily) used above.  The delays at 25 fF are
40 ps to 150 ps.  Even for the slowest CSA (why?!), this would give us
2600/150 = 17 times slower multiply than add.  For the fastest, it'd be
2600/40 = 65 times, which honestly feels weird given that we're
comparing against their fastest multiplier (is the load on adders, etc.
within the multiplier so much higher? maybe it is).

Of course, actual capacitance values, etc. will be very different in
modern chips.  But I think this shows in what range the ratios between
multiply and add may be, even today.

I think your "it can not be more than 4x slower" is overly optimistic.
I think Bill's 8x for 32x32 is about right.

Thanks again for the helpful reference!

Alexander