Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 17:23:12 +0800
From: Hongjun Wu <wuhongjun@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] OMG we have benchmarks

I think Alexander is right that using the smallest t_cost is more
meaningful (even though the data may look strange).

There is a general problem in the time-vs-memory comparison:  when we are
testing the candidates with the smallest t_cost, their memory hardening
security are not the same (may differ a lot).

Best Regards,
hongjun

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Milan Broz <gmazyland@...il.com> wrote:

> On 04/01/2015 10:45 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 03:02:07AM -0500, Steve Thomas wrote:
> >>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mbroz/PHCtest/master/output/round2_Lenovo_X230_i5_16G/mc_cost_2/memory_time_round.png
> >>
> >> Note I believe there might be a problem with some of it: battcrypt on
> 5x and
> >> POMELO on 3x and 5x. Since those algorithms don't have t_costs for
> those and I
> >> think they are run at lower settings.
> >>
> >> But ignoring that these are the best benchmarks I've seen since they're
> >> normalized for rounds across memory and time vs memory (instead of
> having t_cost
> >> or m_cost as an axis).
> >
> > Cool!  Why are these for t_cost from 2 to 5, though?  Where's t_cost 0
> > and 1?  I think only behavior with the lowest supported t_cost matters
> > for selection of a scheme, whereas exactly how higher t_cost affects the
> > behavior is merely additional information to be used for fine-tuning.
> >
> > Also, are the Lyra2 results included here for 1 or 2 threads?
> >
> > I assume the rest are for 1 thread?
>
> Well, it was just test run, but once it is already here:
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mbroz/PHCtest/master/output/round2_Lenovo_X230_i5_16G/mc_cost_2/memory_time_round.png
>
> - I fixed point colors, so it should now match all 4 versions.
>
> - Yescrypt has in 3 x round two more points (2GiB) - just typo in script.
> (I'll run all algs up to 8GiB but it will take long time -> later)
>
> - Lyra2 should be for 1 thread (-DnPARALLEL=1)
>
> - Parameters are according to Steve's table
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.phc/2550
> (also in https://github.com/mbroz/PHCtest/issues/1 )
>
> - the low memory setting is "unstable" because of RUSAGE measurement:
>   Real memory us is simple difference of getrusage(RUSAGE_SELF, ...)
>   before and after run (well, here maximum of three runs).
>
>   So for small memory allocations it can be even zero (because that process
>   already have some memory pre-allocated). My intention was to show that it
>   really have expected peak there.
>   (So it will not match your calculation exactly but it must be very
> close.)
>
> Graph for t_min is here (but is somehow strange)
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mbroz/PHCtest/master/output/round2_Lenovo_X230_i5_16G/m_cost/memory_time.png
>
> Milan

Content of type "text/html" skipped