Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 08:39:25 -0500 (CDT)
From: Steve Thomas <steve@...tu.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] PHC: survey and benchmarks

> On April 1, 2015 at 8:33 AM Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> Steve,
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 09:33:28PM -0500, Steve Thomas wrote:
> > Name       | t_cost for 2x | t_cost for 3x | t_cost for 4x | t_cost for 5x
> > -----------+---------------+---------------+---------------+---------------
> > Argon      | 2             | 3             | 4             | 5
> > battcrypt  | 0             | 1             | 3             | -
> > Catena     | 2             | 3             | 4             | 5
> > Lyra2      | 2             | 3             | 4             | 5
> > POMELO     | 1             | -             | 2             | -
> > Pufferfish | -             | 0             | -             | 1
> > yescrypt   | 3             | 4             | 5             | 6
>
> For yescrypt it's t = 2 to have it perform 2x the number of read-writes
> compared to the total number of blocks. t = 0 means 4/3, t = 1 means
> 5/3, and t = 2 means 2. Then it's just whole numbers.

Oh I must of miss read the code I thought t = 0 was 1/3, t = 1 was 2/3, and t =
2 was 1. Wait are you counting the initial filling of memory because I didn't
count that for the others?

> So if I understood you right, all of the numbers for yescrypt in the
> table above should be decreased by 1.
>
> ... or are you only counting memory accesses starting with the point
> where the memory is filled, and not counting the initial accesses
> during memory filling (which often involves reads of previously-written
> blocks, and thus contributes to the attacker's area-time product too)?
> If so, your table is correct (for yescrypt; I didn't verify the rest).

And you just answered that question. OK so I don't remember off the top of my
head but I think all of these write random sequentially over the memory then
start doing stuff. I think only one was Gambit.

I was thinking of tweaking battcrypt so that it zero fills memory and inits the
extra block (2 KiB) with random. Then start the main loop. This would save the
initial blowfish encryption of memory, but then it's hard to know how resistant
it is to TMTO. Currently I think 2x passes over memory from the table above
(which ignores initialization) should be the required minimum. And probably 3x
if initialized with zeros. I was running out of time on the tweak deadline.
Which now that I think about it I really should have just made it an option. And
if it turned out to be a lot slower than the original, then just suggest no one
use it :).

Sorry about the long delay.