Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 12:33:50 -0500 (CDT)
From: Steve Thomas <steve@...tu.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Client-side hashing (was side-channel stuff)

> On April 25, 2015 at 10:35 AM Dmitry Chestnykh <dmitry@...ingrobots.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 25 Apr 2015, at 15:46, Bill Cox < waywardgeek@...il.com
> > <mailto:waywardgeek@...il.com> > wrote:
> >
> > > On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 2:57 AM, Sascha Schmidt
> > > <sascha.schmidt@...-weimar.de <mailto:sascha.schmidt@...-weimar.de> >
> > > >
> > > You are totally right. I don't know how I missed this. The most
> > > embarrassing thing is, that this would already be possible with
> > > Catena. The only thing missing is the server-side finalization with
> > > encryption.
> > > I hope I haven't caused any confusion with my previous mail.
> > >
> > In this case, can everything but the last step be done client-side?
> >  Ideally, the salt is a secret known only to the server and client, where
> > the client preferably stores it in a security key of some sort.
>
> Well, if a client can store a secret, we can ditch passwords altogether.

You'd probably want it to be a public/private key. Basically like U2F but FIDO
needs to stop eating their own dog food (LOL FIDO... dog food) and remove the 10
second window, use deterministic signing, remove signature counter, and replace
key ids with user name/id and server domain. So they can do privateKey =
kdf(user name/id, server domain, secret key). They can keep the BS DRM as long
as the key is changed less than every 100,000 devices. It would be nice to have
verifiability (ie set my own secret key) so I can verify it's not leaking info.

That fixes tracking and some other things but you're now susceptible to the
device cloning "the James Bond attack".
<funny joke can skip>
Were James Bond sneaks in grabs your U2F dongle, takes it to a lab rips it
apart, steals the secret key, and makes a clone. He walks back in but your back
looking for the your U2F dongle. And he goes over to your desk and says "is this
what you're looking for" bends over and fakes picking something up off the
ground and hands you the clone *splosh*. Oh wait no that's Archer.
</funny joke can skip>

Also we will always need passwords for encryption.