Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 04:12:54 -0700
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Fastest algorithm shootout with threads...

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 03:47:35PM -0700, Bill Cox wrote:
> > Just for fun, I added -p support for TwoCats.  I still win the speed
> > competition :-)
>
> Cool!  How many sequential MULs does TwoCats have per 1 KiB in that test?

By default, it does 2048 sequential multiplies in the integer unit in
parallel with hashing a 16KiB block in the SIMD unit, and then hashes all
the results together with a full Blake2s.  So, that's 128 sequential
multiplies per 1KiB block.  However, this is tunable.

> > In short, here's the best runtimes, when choosing num threads for highest
> > speed at hashing 1GiB:
> >
> > TwoCats                103 ms
> > Argon2d-sse            143 ms
> > Yescrypt-2pw-sse       147 ms
> > Lyra2-sse              212 ms
>
> The problem is most apps and users won't run additional benchmarks to
> choose the optimal number of threads, and even if they do they'd likely
> need to be computing the same derived key on an upgraded machine later,
> where the old thread count would no longer be the most optimal one.

This depends on the use case, I think.   For FDE or volume encryption, an
automt datic parameter generator should run, just like Scrypt does today.
For authentication servers, these would also be well tuned.  You're right
about most apps and users, though.

> > Yescrypt does 33% more I/O operations than TwoCats, and uses OpenMP
> rather
> > than pthreads, and uses a 1KiB block size compared to TwoCat's 16KiB
> block
> > size.  This explains the difference in speed.  Lyra2 does a lot more I/O
> > operations than TwoCats, explaining it's bandwidth-limited speed.
> > Argon2d-sse also uses a 1KiB block size, and in addition, it calls 16
> > reduced Blake2b rounds rather than 12 like Lyra2.  I think this explains
> > why it's running slower.
>
> Unless I misunderstand something, Argon2d at lowest t_cost only goes
> through memory once (when filling it), without the extra 33% you
> mentioned for yescrypt.  So it could have reached TwoCats' speed, but
> somehow did not.  I guess the intermediate writes to state[] between the
> two groups of 8 BLAKE2b rounds might hurt even with write-back caches.
> Are those writes occasionally getting to higher-level caches or RAM?

I did a few manual tests to see if I could get Argon2d and Yescrypt-2pw-sse
to run at TwoCat's speed.  I succeeded for the single-thread case, but for
multiple threads, the 1KiB block size used by Argon2d and Yescrypt slows
them down.  I was able to slow TwoCats down similarly by useing a 1KiB
block size.

To get Yescrypt there, I commented out the multiplies in the PWX
transform.  The fact that this runs as fast as TwoCats is impressive, given
that Yescrypt was doing 33% more I/O operations.  It looks like even with 2
rounds instead of 6, Yescrypt-2pw-sse is still computation time bound.

To get Argon2d-sse there, I commented out half of their 16 reduced Blake2b
rounds.  It seems Argon2d is also computation time bound on this machine.

> > Should both Yescrypt and Argon2d to use my distance-cubed distribution?
> > Argon2d uses a uniform distribution, and Yescrypt uses a
> > sliding-power-of-two distribution.
>
> It's confusing to say that Argon2d uses a uniform distribution.  Both
> Argon2d and yescrypt use uniform distribution within their target range
> (all of memory written so far or the current window, respectively) at
> each given moment, but as we know this results in different non-uniform
> distributions across the entire memory filling loop's running time.

Yes, it is.  As Dmitry said, their distribution is sub-optimal, with some
room for improvement.  Your histograms show that pretty well.

> > This would enhance Argon2d's TMTO
> > defense and Yescrypt could probably not run the second loop at all when
> > t_cost == 0.  That would make Yescrypt-2pw-sse nearly as fast as TwoCats
> > when running with enough threads.
>
> Yes, perhaps.  It's a pity that TwoCats' TMTO wasn't studied by the
> Argon team.  Maybe we should have made TwoCats a finalist just for that
> privilege.  Then we would have greater confidence about your approach.

It's not too late to study the distance-cubed distribution (or something
similar).  The current Argon2d distribution is on the weak side.

> $ ./tst-twocats -p6 -m20 -t0 -r 10
> > 8 32 20 0 103 1044860
> >
> > $ ./tst-twocats -p12 -m20 -t0 -r 10
> > 8 32 20 0 117 1044908
>
> Oh, this is what I wanted to see.  I think it's actually a drawback that
> Lyra2 and TwoCats exhibit a performance reduction at more threads.
> OTOH, this implies they're probably not susceptible to faster CPU
> attacks (by interleaving multiple instances) on this machine at this
> m_cost.  (Argon2d and yescrypt might not be either, but it's not seen
> from these specific benchmarks.)
>
> Alexander

Yes, Lyra2 has this problem to a small extent, and TwoCats has it worse.  A
simple heuristic like "Use all my cores" is not optimal for TwoCats, while
it seems to be pretty close for Yescrypt.

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped