Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 08:51:20 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] GPU vs CPU benchmarks for Makwa

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your work on this!

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 04:10:29PM +0200, Thomas Pornin wrote:
> Another method would be to go straight for the compiled kernel format,
> which is supported as an option by OpenCL; in the case of AMD GPU, this
> appears to be some kind of ELF object, but not fully documented. Some
> people are trying to write such an assembler:
>    http://openwall.info/wiki/john/development/GCN-ISA
> but, as far as I know, this is not completely usable yet.

FWIW, we have some more info on this on the wiki, but it was buried on
the archived GSoC ideas page... so I just moved it to its own page:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/development/GPU-low-level

You might be interested in the collection of links to GPU assembler
projects, for different AMD and NVIDIA GPUs.  For AMD GCN, I'm afraid
the Windows-specific assemblers are the closest to being usable.
However, for NVIDIA Maxwell, MaxAs might already be usable, and it isn't
Windows-specific.  (Yes, we need to add a Maxwell card to HPC Village.)

Alexander