Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 07:46:03 -0700
From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Password hashing as a self-overwriting Turing machine

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Marsh Ray <maray@...rosoft.com> wrote:

>  Perhaps I misread, thinking of your description of a Turing machine
> which uses data-dependent addressing. If memory addresses are fixed in
> advance only by the salt, is it so easy to prove the resulting system is
> Turing complete?
>

> -           Marsh

Yes, it's Turing complete.  Given a data memory size, each location will be
read or written at a known time, and the program can wait for those times
to continue a computation sequence.   You have to embed those access times
in the program, but it's polynomial in size relative to the data memory
size.  There's the complication of needing a new program instruction on
each data access, which is hard when executing the code in a random
pattern, but you just make it large enough to achieve this.  The program
memory should not have to be more than about O(n^2) for n data locations.
Given the salt, we can always choose a program large enough to meet this
restriction.  The instructions include addition, rotation, and XOR, and we
know ARX is enough to be Turing complete.

The BusyBeaver construction seems cryptographically secure to me, if run
long enough, and once we fix a few things, like the entropy lost by the
multiply operation, and make the computation non-reversible with some
standard cryptographic hashes now and then.  I'd have to look more closely
to be convinced there are no bugs, and since the code is the only
documentation, I am not yet entirely convinced this algorithm is otherwise
secure, but the framework looks reasonable.

It would have been a nice entry.  However, in it's current form, I doubt it
would have made it to the final round.  It lacks an m_cost parameter, which
would be a killer to get into the second round, it has salt dependent
branches, and runs somewhat slowly in it's reference form.   It would need
a lot of upgrades to be competitive (an m_cost parameter, a cache-miss
latency mitigation strategy, multi-threading, pluggable hash rather than
hard-coded SHA-512, preferably a hybrid resistant/unpredictable
architecture, maybe a t_cost parameter, cleaner hashing of initial
parameters to create initial derived key, some security analysis).

Still, there's something here.  Running a random set of machine
instructions surely is difficult to do faster in an ASIC than on a CPU
designed to run random machine code rapidly.  It would have been nice to
see where this approach would evolve given good feedback.

Bill

Content of type "text/html" skipped