Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 22:47:44 +0200
From: Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Memory-hard proof of work with fast verification (CPU Hash)

The idea of using ROM for PoW with fast verification has been around since
2003 http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/?id=65154 (Section 5.1 for a
simple algorithm). The major problems are 1) this approach needs a long
initialization phase, and 2) the verifier must have as much memory at least
for the beginning.

We have recently proposed a new method for a memory-hard PoW with fast and
memoryless verification, where there is no initialization phase and the
verifier can be weak. It is in the Argon2 paper
http://eprint.iacr.org/2015/430.pdf , Section 8. The technique can be used
with any memory-hard PHC finalist, in fact.

Best regards,
Dmitry Khovratovich

--
Best regards,