Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 17:43:35 +0000
From: Jean-Philippe Aumasson <jeanphilippe.aumasson@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>,
	"crypto-competitions@...glegroups.com" <crypto-competitions@...glegroups.com>
Subject: PHC winner and special recognitions

On behalf of the Password Hashing Competition (PHC) panel:

We have selected *Argon2* as a basis for the final PHC winner. We will work
with the designers to determine the final version, and in particular what
tweaks will be made. This discussion will be carried out on the public PHC
mailing list (discussions@...sword-hashing.net), and everyone can
contribute.

We will eventually release a final specification and reference C code of
the final Argon2-based winner.

Moreover, we give special recognition to the following submissions:

* *Catena*, for its agile framework approach and side-channel resistance.

* *Lyra2*, for its elegant sponge-based design, and alternative approach to
side-channel resistance.

* *Makwa*, for its unique delegation feature and its factoring-based
security.

* *yescrypt*, for its rich feature set and easy upgrade path from scrypt.

We will also endorse those four algorithms for scenarios in which their
unique capabilities are essential, although the Argon2-based winner will be
our main recommendation. Like for Argon2, the current versions are not the
final versions: their designers are permitted and encouraged to submit
improvements to their design, and the panel may ask for specific changes.

We expect the winner and the special recognitions to be finalized by end of
Q3 2015.

Thanks to all PHC contributors!
https://password-hashing.net/

Content of type "text/html" skipped