Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 03:47:50 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] GPU benchmarks: Lyra2+yescrypt (was: Another PHC candidates "mechanical" tests (ROUND2))

On Sat, Jul 04, 2015 at 08:34:08PM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> I'd like to let you know that Agnieszka Bielec working with us on
> integrating support for PHC finalists into John the Ripper, including on
> GPU, appears to have achieved a 3x+ speedup for Lyra2 over your CUDA
> code, as currently tested at t_cost=8, m_cost=8, N_COLS=256, nPARALLEL=2
> (your defaults).  I think this corresponds to 192 KiB per instance:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/07/04/5
>
> The current choice of 8 and 8 is arbitrary.  We should test with other
> settings as well.  Especially with the lowest t_cost, and higher m_cost,
> and with nPARALLEL=1.

Agnieszka has prepared results for these more practically relevant
settings as well, tuning for roughly same defensive use performance on
CPU as is achieved with bcrypt cost 5 (traditionally used for bcrypt
benchmarks).  An optimized defensive implementation of bcrypt on
i7-4770K achieves ~4300 c/s cumulative for 8 independent processes or
threads (as would be the case for password hashing on an authentication
server).  (FWIW, an attack-optimized implementation, with multiple
instances of bcrypt combined per thread, achieves ~6600 c/s on this CPU.)

Similar defensive use performance of Lyra2 and yescrypt, both with their
memory (de)allocation overhead kept out of the loop, is achieved at
around 1.5 MB (or maybe closer to 2 MB for yescrypt).  We chose to test
both at 1.5 MB.  For Lyra2, this is achieved by setting m_cost=64 (so
it's 64 rows of 24 KB each).  For yescrypt, it is achieved by setting
N=2048 r=6 (so it's 2048 rows of 768 bytes each).  (We could also test
other combinations, like N=1024 r=12, which I expect would work in
yescrypt's favor in terms of GPU attack resistance.  We could even go
all the way up to 24 KB for an interesting comparison.  Agnieszka, feel
free to try those.  Smaller r may be preferable against attacks with
other devices, such as where Argon team's TMTO attack is relevant.)

Here are the current results:

Lyra2

i7-4770K - 3808
GeForce GTX 960M - 506
Radeon HD 7970 GE (*) - 2438
GeForce GTX TITAN (**) - 1625

yescrypt

i7-4770K - 4736
GeForce GTX 960M - 416
Radeon HD 7970 GE (*) - 930
GeForce GTX TITAN (**) - 1107

(*) We actually use one GPU in HD 7990 at 1.0 GHz, which is equivalent
to HD 7970 GE.
(**) With slight overclocking by the GPU card vendor.

Raw detail:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/07/25/21

As you can see, both are slower on GPU than on CPU, but yescrypt fares
better, especially on the AMD GCN device.  CPU/GPU speed ratio advantage
of yescrypt over Lyra2:

4736/416 / (3808/506) = 1.51
4736/930 / (3808/2438) = 3.26
4736/1107 / (3808/1625) = 1.83

(BTW, I expect Argon2 as currently defined to perform worse than Lyra2
at this test.  But this is yet to be seen.  Hopefully soon.)

(Also, if I understood Agnieszka correctly, Lyra2 had the advantage of
AVX2 in its benchmark on CPU, whereas yescrypt was plain AVX only.
OTOH, yescrypt can be sped up by only ~6% with AVX2 on this CPU with
yescrypt's current pwxform settings.)

Why care about GPU cracking speeds when they are lower than CPU speeds
anyway?  For several reasons:

- Supporting use at even lower m_cost, as required in some cases.

- Multi-CPU vs. multi-GPU rigs.  A currently common GPU rig typically
has 1 or 2 CPUs, but up to 8 GPUs (although there are cost-effective
options for packing more CPUs per chassis as well, with multiple nodes):

https://sagitta.pw/hardware/

- Many attackers readily having GPUs as well, whether more numerous than
CPUs or not.  By hurting their GPUs' performance, we increase defender's
advantage (if the defender does not use GPUs for password hashing). (*)

(*) BTW, to answer Bill's question sort of asked in here a few times:
yescrypt can be tuned to be GPU-friendly as well.  One way to do this is
to run it in scrypt mode, with settings similar to Litecoin's, and very
high p.  Doing it with pwxform enabled is also possible, by making the
S-boxes extremely tiny.

- Safety margin.  For example, if HD 7970 is slower than i7-4770K by
only 1/3, then the (already widespread) R9 290X should be same speed as
the CPU, and the (recently released) R9 Fury X should be faster than the
CPU.  Of course, there are much faster CPUs too, so for now we're OK,
but it is unclear how the CPU vs. GPU race will unfold.

Using bigger than quad-core server CPUs for reference could be more
appropriate, but they will perform similarly (just faster per-chip, for
8+ core Xeon E5 series CPUs).  So the CPU/GPU ratios will increase, but
the Lyra2/yescrypt ratios will stay roughly the same.

Alexander