Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 07:40:01 +0000
From: Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@...il.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Intel/Micron "3D Xpoint"

I'm surprised to have not seen any analysis about what (if any)  the
newly announced Xpoint tech may have on PHC contestants and their
assumptions:

http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2015/07/28/intel-and-micron-produce-breakthrough-memory-technology

It seems a little too sparse and marketing to reason too concretely.
Prior to the announcement I'd been privately told that it would be
"faster than current SDRAM" and "denser and cheaper than many SSDs".

The fact sheet is worth a giggle:
http://www.intel.com/newsroom/kits/nvm/3dxpoint/pdfs/NextGen_NVM_FunFacts.pdf

Micron's part of the announcement also links to their publications on
about massively parallel compute devices integrated on die as pipeline
processors.  There is even a seperate application section on
cryptanalysis: http://www.micronautomata.com/signal_intelligence