Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 10:25:41 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Low Argon2 performance in L3 cache

On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 02:53:59PM -0700, Bill Cox wrote:
> Imagine you work at a large company like Facebook and want to convince your
> data center guys to use Argon2.  They might have a 1 ms time budget for
> password hashing, and be unwilling to budge on that.  In this case, you
> really want the algorithm to fill memory rapidly.  Worse, you're sharing
> the CPU with other services, so multiple threads are costly, again
> upsetting the data center guys.
>
> Here's a speed comparison of single-thread hashing of 4MiB between Argon2,
> Yescrypt-2p, and TwoCats on my Xeon E5-1650 CPU running at 3.50GHz:
>
> Argon2d: 2.6 ms
> Yescrypt-2p: 1.8 ms
> TwoCats: 0.72 ms

What's Yescrypt-2p?  What do the 2 and p mean?

Anyway, yescrypt was primarily optimized for the case when multiple
concurrent instances are run, maximizing the throughput.  Latency of one
computation is secondary.

> A natural solution is to use more threads.

No, not threads within one hash computation.  That makes it sensitive to
other server load (resulting in efficiency loss on thread synchronization
when there is any unrelated server load).  The natural solution is to
run independent concurrent instances, for different authentication
requests.  Perhaps we'll have to use threads for one hash computation
when typical server CPUs have hundreds of cores or more yet the latency
budget is low, so it's good to have support for that, but it's not the
desired way of doing things yet... until we're forced to.

> Wasn't Alexander getting something like 4,000 Yescrypt 4 MiB hashes per
> second?  If true, this is very impressive.

I was getting 3400 yescrypt 2 MiB hashes per second on i7-4770K (with
yescrypt's default 6 pwxform rounds).  On your 6-core, it may be 50%
higher, so maybe 5100.  For 4 MiB, that would be maybe 2500.  If you
reduce the pwxform rounds count, you can probably do 4000.

I was also getting 10000 yescrypt hashes per second for 2 MiB, or for
1.75 MiB + 112 GiB ROM, on 2x E5-2670.  That's also with 6 rounds.
For 4 MiB, this would be almost 5000.

I was also getting 4100 on i7-4770K for pwxform settings changed to use
512-bit rather than 128-bit S-box lookups, still for 2 MiB with 6
rounds.  With S-boxes increased to use L2 cache (64 KiB per instance,
128 KiB per core), this runs at 3300.

I haven't yet benchmarked the revised Argon2, but the original Argon2d
performed faster than yescrypt at PWXrounds=6 on the i7-4770K.  That's
not surprising given that it's 1 BLAKE2b round vs. 6 pwxform rounds per
64-byte block.

Alexander