Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 13:55:30 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Interest in specification of modular crypt format

On Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 10:02:28PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Thomas Pornin <pornin@...et.org> writes:
> > If the Argon2 authors do not have time for that, I can contribute the
> > specification and code if needed (I have not written anything to that
> > effect yet for Argon2, but I did for Makwa, so I believe I can do that
> > job properly).
>
> I worked on this for scrypt, see
>
> https://gitlab.com/jas/scrypt-unix-crypt/blob/master/unix-scrypt.txt
>
> and I am interested in working on this for Argon2 too.

I briefly contributed to that too, and I've got additional thoughts on
this bikeshed since then.  Specifically:

The syntax we introduced for scrypt at the time turned out not to
accommodate some other encodings people came up with (some may have been
already in use when we came up with ours), whereas it would have been
nice to be able to convert any unofficial encoding to/from the official
one.  The issue is that, for implementation and specification
simplicity, I chose to treat the salt substring verbatim, passing it
right into scrypt with no decoding.  Some other people chose to generate
the scrypt salt as arbitrary binary data and to encode it.  Thus, when
converting their encodings to the one described at the URL above, we may
get bad (non-printable or otherwise special) characters in the salt
substring, making such conversion unusable in general.  So maybe we need
to use encoded salts, even though this requires us to decode them in
implementations and to decide on how we handle incorrect salt encodings
(e.g., characters outside of the base64 alphabet).

If we continue to build upon the traditional crypt(3) alphabet and
encoding (like the above specification for scrypt does), then I'd also
like to include a way to represent the numeric parameters in a more
compact form: let the little-endian encodings be truncated when the
values are small.  So e.g. instead of:

$7$C6..../....SodiumChloride$kBGj9fHznVYFQMEn/qDCfrDevf9YDtcDdKvEqHJLV8D

it would be valid to use:

$7$C6$/$SodiumChloride$kBGj9fHznVYFQMEn/qDCfrDevf9YDtcDdKvEqHJLV8D

or if we want to keep the number of '$' characters fixed, then either
require the '$' delimiters to always be present or maybe introduce '+'
or '=' for truncation (a character already used in the other base64
encoding's alphabet, so likely safe to use):

$7$C6+/+SodiumChloride$kBGj9fHznVYFQMEn/qDCfrDevf9YDtcDdKvEqHJLV8D

The savings for classic scrypt are small, but with yescrypt's additional
parameters they are more significant.

(These examples don't yet switch to encoded salts.  I am keeping these
two topics separate in this message, although obviously if we implement
both changes then we'd need to merge them in some way.)

There are also some good reasons in favor of using the RFC specified
base64 encoding, but that's a deviation from what was used traditionally
and unfortunately it appears incompatible with the truncation feature
(and moreover it has padding characters, resulting in even longer
strings).

What do others think on all of this?  Thomas?

> I don't believe it is important to include this in the official
> specification.  It should be fine to keep it in a separate document, and
> for a disjoint, or only partially overlapping group of people, to work
> on that project.  I do agree that a plethora of incompatible formats is
> a severe pain, but if a number of people now agree on a writeup and
> starts to experiment, I believe we can get closure on something that
> should be "good enough" for others to accept.  That said, I'm not
> opposed to including things in the official specification, if consensus
> on details can be established.

I think it's desirable for us to arrive at a common approach at encoding
these things for all PHC-endorsed schemes.  It is less important whether
this would be part of the specifications for the individual hashing
schemes or not, although I think that if not right away then it should
retroactively be added to revisions of those later.

Alexander