Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 13:09:57 -0700
From: Dmitry Khovratovich <khovratovich@...il.com>
To: "discussions@...sword-hashing.net" <discussions@...sword-hashing.net>
Subject: Re: [PHC] Specification of a modular crypt format

The proposal is really great, and I thank Thomas for working on it.

Argon2 currently allows two additional inputs: key and associated data. The
key input is solely to emulate MACs, whereas the associated data is
supposed to contain username, application data, or whatever
context-specific details.

I suggest using these two inputs as parameters alongside m,p, and t. They
can be binary encoded similarly to salt. The hash string would then contain
the associated data parameter, but not the key parameter. This will allow
hash lookup in the file by the associated data value. The key parameter
should certainly be omitted from the hash string, but there must be
indication that it must be looked up somewhere else. The encoding scheme
should also consider NULL parameter values for key and associated data.

If the password were included as parameter as well, this would allow very
simple Generate/Verify interface with just a single string as the function
input. Does it break the compatibility too much?

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Khovratovich

Content of type "text/html" skipped