Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 08:41:08 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Massimo Del Zotto <massimodz8@...il.com>
Cc: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] yescrypt on GPU

On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 10:00:53AM +0200, Massimo Del Zotto wrote:
> I have been shuffling a bit through the CL forum and I'm quite sure I
> missed something.
> Anyway, I have reached that conclusion (about instruction latencies being
> basically 0) reading this/posting:
> https://community.amd.com/thread/170261

Thanks.  Also useful is the other thread referenced from there:

https://community.amd.com/message/1302341#1302355
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/pcw/docs/453/941/23.jpg
https://community.amd.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-1302355-1568/16workitems.png

And 2620_final.pdf page 12 (on which and how many instructions can
issue per cycle), 19 (comparison against VLIW, but it mentions that GCN
has "Vector back-to-back wavefront instruction issue").  It's important
that only 1 VALU instruction can issue per cycle, which means that it
has to be for a 64-item wavefront (yet apparently to one SIMD unit)
rather than just for one SIMD unit's width of 16, or otherwise there
would have been no way to fully utilize the hardware.

> Quoting, for those who don't feel like following the link:
>
> RealHet, 2015 Apr 18
> Hi,
>
> This example is absolutely correct, it can harvest the peak performance of
> the gpu, yet it uses the same register for everything:
> v_mad_f32 v0, v0, v0, v0
> v_mad_f32 v0, v0, v0, v0
> v_mad_f32 v0, v0, v0, v0
> v_mad_f32 v0, v0, v0, v0

My understanding is that this requires at least 4 wavefronts, of 64
work-items each.  So at least 256 per CU.  Any fewer than that, and we
start wasting pipeline stages or/and SIMD units.

The latency is effectively 0 as it relates to instruction scheduling by
the compiler, but it is still 4 cycles in hardware, as well as in terms
of requiring parallelism to hide it.  It's just that this parallelism
isn't seen in the instruction stream (that's good, as otherwise we'd end
up wasting instruction cache space on explicit interleaving of
instructions from multiple instances of our algorithm, like we actually
have to when optimizing for modern CPUs).

In another comment, realhet says:

"Also there is a slow double precision instruction which takes 16 clocks."

2620_final.pdf page 44 says:

"32-bit Integer MUL/MULADD @ DPFP Mul/FMA rate"

So it seems that when we need wider than 24-bit multiplication (like we
do in yescrypt), we may incur 16 cycles latency.  (This says "rate"
rather than "latency", though.)

Page 45 shows how LDS has twice fewer banks (32) than could potentially
be accessed by the SIMD units otherwise (64), so runs at "1/2 WAVE/CLK"
(two quarter-waves total coming from two groups of two SIMD units each).
This isn't about latency, but rather about LDS only having 1/2 of the
throughput that could potentially be needed by LDS-bound kernels.

> From the discussion you linked:
>
> gautam.himanshu, 2012 May 11
> Actually only a quad-wavefront(16 work-items) can run parallely on a
> Compute Unit. All these extra work-items are introduced, so hide the
> latencies of memory i/o for data as well as **code**.

This comment is not authoritative, and looks wrong to me, even with
"Compute Unit" corrected to mean "SIMD".

My current understanding is that each SIMD unit needs to run a 64-item
wavefront, split across the 4 pipeline stages.  For 4 SIMDs/CU, we need
4 times that.

> It seems GCN also switches to a different wavefront at every instruction
> anyway.

So you need 4 wavefronts to use the 4 SIMD units.

Alexander