Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 16:03:14 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] Argon2 CPU/GPU benchmarks

Here's an update, after some over-quoting (since it's been a while):

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 05:09:42AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> Agnieszka Bielec produced OpenCL implementations of Argon2d and 2i, and
> ran benchmarks at the same 1.5 MiB level that we had used for Lyra2 vs.
> yescrypt testing.
>
> IIUC, these are for Argon2 1.0, before BlaMka and the indexing function
> enhancement.
>
> Argon2i t=3 m=1536
> i7-4770K - 2480
> GeForce GTX 960M - 1861
> Radeon HD 7970 GE (*) - 1288
> GeForce GTX TITAN (**) - 2805
>
> Argon2d t=1 m=1536
> i7-4770K - 7808
> GeForce GTX 960M - 4227
> Radeon HD 7970 GE (*) - 2742
> GeForce GTX TITAN (**) - 6083
>
> (*) We actually use one GPU in HD 7990 at 1.0 GHz, which is equivalent
> to HD 7970 GE.
> (**) With slight overclocking by the GPU card vendor.
>
> Raw detail:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/08/17/62

Jeremi Gosney's company, Sagitta HPC, has kindly sponsored the addition
of a Titan X to our HPC Village machine, which I finally got around to
announcing here:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/announce/2015/10/14/1

although we've been playing with the Titan X for a while now (a very
fast and well-behaving card and driver), and Agnieszka ran Argon2
benchmarks on it.

The results for Argon2 so far are moderately disappointing from attack
perspective: although Agnieszka got speeds higher than those quoted
above, she has also got comparably higher speeds out of the old Kepler
architecture Titan.

Here are the updated figures:

Argon2i t=3 m=1536
i7-4770K - 2480
GeForce GTX 960M - 2007
Radeon HD 7970 GE (*) - 1542
GeForce GTX TITAN (**) - 4292
GeForce GTX Titan X - 6301

Argon2d t=1 m=1536
i7-4770K - 7808
GeForce GTX 960M - 4881
Radeon HD 7970 GE (*) - 4266
GeForce GTX TITAN (**) - 11715
GeForce GTX Titan X - 9600

> I am especially concerned about the 960M (a mobile GPU with 65W TDP)
> performing surprisingly well, at 75% of CPU speed for 2i and 54% for 2d.
> This means that a larger desktop/gaming/server Maxwell GPU will
> trivially outperform the CPU.

... and it does, but not by such a large margin.  Also, the older Kepler
GPU outperforms the CPU now, for both 2i and 2d.

For 2i, the best result is for Titan X: 6301/2480 = 2.54 times faster
than the CPU.

For 2d, the best result is for the old TITAN: 11715/7808 = 1.5 times
faster than the CPU.

> GTX Titan X is more than 4 times larger than the 960M.  We need to add
> it to the mix and see.

Added, but the previously expected scaling is not seen: it's 4+ times
larger, but only 3 times faster at 2i, and 2 times faster at 2d.

To me, this suggests the code is still badly unoptimized - in fact, we
know there's heavy register spilling going on, and the kernel is huge.
It is possible that we incur too many global memory accesses, and favor
the mobile GPU's relatively narrower memory bus.

Here's the raw detail:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/09/05/12
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/09/06/26

This is still for Argon2 1.0.  We got to update to the latest.

Alexander