Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 16:22:33 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: discussions@...sword-hashing.net
Subject: Re: [PHC] How to: A super-efficient cryptographic accumulator?

Thanks for the link Solar, as I was missing a lot of the context about
the question.

As Solar mentioned, if you are accepting of false positives then the
Bloom Filter is likely the closest realistic approach you could take
with limited disk space.

If you want to avoid false positives, you could look at encoding the
data as a non-deterministic finite automaton (NFA).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondeterministic_finite_automaton

You will also have better luck compressing the data if you operate off
plaintexts vs the Sha1 hashes. Aka compressing random data ... doesn't
work too well. Still, NFAs aren't magic. For a 500 million input list,
even an optimized NFA will be significantly larger than a bloom filter
with a reasonable false positive rate.

Matt