Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 00:23:16 +0100
From: "Thor Larholm" <thor@...x.com>
To: "jelmer" <jelmer@...erus.xs4all.nl>,
	"Tom Tanaka" <tomatell@...on-sol.jp>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: .MHT Buffer Overflow in Internet Explorer

> From: "jelmer" <jelmer@...erus.xs4all.nl>
> I believe from ie6 SP1 on IE doesn't open any mht files directly from the
> web anymore.
> from the local filesystem it still works though.

That's the funny thing, IE6 SP1 still allows opening MHT files directly from
the web in the Internet Zone, so this is remotely exploitable on websites.

Since MHT files are opened automatically, just like certain other media
files, you can also open an MHT file automatically through an email message
in the Restricted Zone.

Regards
Thor Larholm
PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher