Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:53:22 +0100
From: "micm" <micm@...h.org.uk>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Linksys WRT54G - Advice for european users

The readme for the european version of the firmware has this to say:

=======
Note:  If you try and upgrade an older unit to firmware 2.07 without
upgrading
the firmware to 1.09.1 prior to upgrade, you may damage the Access
Point.
=======

And also has a pdf containing the instructions and links to the relevant
firmware downloads.
http://www.linksys.com/download/vertxt/WAP54GupgradeprocedureV2.doc

As someone who suffered from the dead ethernet port symptom, I can
confirm that the upgrade via the 1.09 version fixed the issue.  Note
also that it's mentioned in various places that the 1.09 firmware is not
a functional firmware - however it in fact works identically to 1.08
(USA version).  Make sure you power cycle the router at least once after
upgrading to 1.09 rather that just letting it reboot by itself
post-update.

Analysis elsewhere
(http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=10) suggests
that the 1.09 firmware updates the pmon code within the router.

Mike.