Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:57:42 +1000
From: "Hamilton Frail" <h.frail@...pond.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Caveat Lector: Beastie Boys Evil

Assumming we are on a XP Pro box, does anyone know if the exe has the same
effect on Admin, power user, and normal user accounts? or just more
privilaged accounts such as Power users and/or Administrators??

More to the point, does anyone know what it is exactly doing to prevent the
cd from being copyed (the actual exe, not the errors they put on the cd)?
or has anyone monitored any system calls, file access or registray access
the exe makes when it is executed?

I found a few messages with other peopels experiences:
"Some remark about my previous post:
It is actually tedious to specify the start time and the length for each
track, but it definitely works.
Note that before I deactivate the auto-run, Easy AC-DC did not recognise the
CD, it actually did not see there was a CD at all. After the desactivation,
it detects the CD with n + 1 tracks. This is maybe why some of you thought
it didnot work."

and

"Got into the same problem with RHCP Greatest Hits and it turns out that
Easy CD-DA is working well, but:
1) You have to desactivate the auto-start feature on the CD burner.
2) You will see that Easy CD-DA detects that all the tracks are aboiut 10
seconds and the last one is very long.
Ignore the last one, and modify the start date and length of each other
tracks to the proper timing.
Rip the tracks at a low speed (2x). It is long, but it is working."
from http://www.fedge.net/emi/gb.php?action=view

So, I guess it is looking for specific processes and messing with them?
Although I read somwhere last night that it didnt seem to effect copying
with a normal cd rom - only if the device was a burner, so could / is it
messing with atapi function calls?

Reguards,
Philip