Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:06:15 -0500
From: Simon Zuckerbraun <szucker@...-pr-1.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, visitbipin@...mail.com
Subject: RE: Unsecure file permission of ZoneAlarm pro.

Bipin, what you're bringing up is a very interesting point.

It turns out that, despite the lax NTFS permissions, the
safePrograms.xml file is apparantly quite well protected from tampering.
The TrueVector driver, which runs kernel-mode, holds a lock on the file
that prevents any other process from modifying it. My observation is
based on ZoneAlarm with AntiVirus 5.1.011.000.

That said, I think that the fundamental question here is still
unanswered. Since you can alter firewall settings via the user-mode
ZoneAlarm client, there must exist a communication channel that the
ZoneAlarm client uses to issue commands to the TrueVector driver. Unless
this channel is properly protected, malware can issue configuration
commands to TrueVector through this same channel.

So my questions are:
* How does the ZoneAlarm client communicate with the TrueVector firewall
driver?
* What prevents malware from pretending to be the ZoneAlarm client and
issuing arbitrary commands to the firewall driver?
* Does the password-protect feature of the ZoneAlarm client have
anything to do with the security on this communications channel?

My guess is that the ZoneLabs people have done their homework and that
all is well. But these are important questions to investigate.

Simon