Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 15:33:04 +1000
From: "Lyal Collins" <lyal.collins@...2it.com.au>
To: "'Bjorn Borg'" <bjorn.brg@...il.com>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>, <focus-virus@...urityfocus.com>,
	<focus-ms@...urityfocus.com>, <honeypots@...urityfocus.com>,
	<pen-test@...urityfocus.com>, <security-basics@...urityfocus.com>,
	<security-management@...urityfocus.com>,
	<forensics@...urityfocus.com>, <webappsec@...urityfocus.com>,
	<secureshell@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: anti-phishing implementation

There is another strategy that the industry has almost totally ignored -
allow the recipient to verify the sender's identity.  Not verifed -> delete
the email.
This does not mean S/MIME, PGP or added email headers etc, but may also use
those techniques as well.
It means the sender and recipient can trust each other that the email they
send each other, and thus can treat all other email as suspect.
In the distributed internet, this would probably be best implemented in
selected gateways that authenticate senders, so the trust is
gateway-recipient, rather than the more complex sender-recipient, sicne the
former scenario has less trust paths than the latter.

This needs no databases, and no arms race of trying to keep up with spammers
tools.

Lyal