Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:22:20 -0700
From: Erick Mechler <emechler@...hometer.net>
To: sanjaynaik@...e.org
Cc: pawel.worach@...il.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Checkpoint SYN DoS Vulnerability

:: SYNdefender is disabled on the Nokia/Checkpoint firewall. Nokia's response
:: after seeing the results of the scan has been that SYNdefender is still
:: functional even if we disable it and valid authorized scans won't be
:: allowed from the firewall as that is a product limitation!

The most vocal piece of feedback I gave to CheckPoint back when I used
their FW-1 products was to provide a Big Red Button(tm) to disable all of
the SmartDefense functionality.  It was never made very clear to me, as the
admin, when those things kicked-in, and how they would effect my traffic
flow.  I haven't used FW-1 in the last 12 months, so this might have been
addressed, but I can't say for sure.

Cheers - Erick