Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:36:09 -0400
From: "sanjay naik" <sanjaynaik@...mail.com>
To: cbrenton@...isbrenton.org, sanjaynaik@...e.org
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Checkpoint SYN DoS Vulnerability

Hi Chris,

I have tested this with a complete TCPdump on the checkpoint side and
Tethereal on the scanner side. The scan used is NMAP TCP Connect scan, which
actually does the full 3-way handshake. So, according to your response, the
scan should have always succeeded.
The scan does succeed sometimes and at other times we get bogus information
from the firewall. If this was a feature, it should have consistently
provided bogus information.

SYNDefender is disabled on the firewalls. Also, the firewall performance
starts degrading as we start getting these bogus results. The State Table
definely gets affected due to this scan which is really a valid permitted
scan with proper rules in place for the scanner. I have seen issues with ACK
scans and invalid SYN scans, but this is a valid TCP connect scan that we
are trying.

Nokia's response is that even if SYNDefender is disabld, it still works in
the background! Authorized Scanning is not allowed by Checkpoint firewall as
that is a product limitation.

Regards,
Sanjay Naik