From: len at netsys.com (Len Rose)
Subject: Re: [security bulletin] SSRT2275 HP Tru64 UNIX - Potential Buffer Overflows  & SSRT2229 Potential Denial of Service (fwd)

>From the How Lame Can It Get or Intellectual Levels
of the Net are dropping each year Dept.

The example MD5/SHA1 perl script HP/Compaq recommends
on the page referenced in the below excerpt, is broken
because they didn't escape the greater than/less than
symbols. When the page is rendered by any browser the
code appears as "while()" instead of the proper "while(<FILE>)"

One can envision some poor sod sitting there endlessly waiting
for his md5/sha1 checksum to appear because he copied and pasted
the example script. (it will just sit there endlessly chewing up
cpu)

Either this is a joke, or a denial of service attack brought
to you by the new, improved HP/Compaq technical elite :)

# snip
use Digest::MD5;
use Digest::SHA1;

my $file = shift;
open(FILE, $file) or die "Can't open '$file': $!";
binmode(FILE);

$md5 = Digest::MD5->new;
$sha1 = Digest::SHA1->new;

while (<FILE>) {
    $md5->add($_);
    $sha1->add($_);
}
close(FILE);
print $md5->hexdigest," ","$file"," ","MD5\n";
print $sha1->hexdigest," ","$file"," ","SHA1\n";

#end snip

(http://www.support.compaq.com/patches/whats-new.shtml)