From: misha at cerber.no (Mikhail Iakovlev)
Subject: The last word on the Linux Slapper worm

Paul, are you absolutely sure about it?
I have few systems that had 0.9.6b, and after playing with offsets for
some time I managed to proof vulnerability. Of course it depends always on
kernel versions/patches, and on modules which are included in apache
server. Because of that addresses are changing.

Like for example if I knew value of hex from objdump -R
/path/to/your/httpd |grep free I am pretty sure that I could succeed.
However, there are some cases when I tried it on exactly the same versions
of kernel and apache servers and it DIDN'T work. So, answer lies somewhere
else, not in openssl itself.

I have made a different version of exploit than the one from worm sources,
it works a bit faster. I am not going to publish it (yet), but I could
test if some of you sure you are not vulnerable with version 0.9.6b.
At least all of my machines were, with different versions of kernels.

As I said, all attacker needs is an IP address, and hex value from line
where it says just "free". Rest is up to skills and a bit of luck.

As for me - it was a pain to recompile apache on 18 servers, since all of
them have custom needs/setups.

Modular apache with openssl are also vulnerable, I made a proof of concept
few days ago for my students in lab.

Best wishes,
Mik-