From: ben at algroup.co.uk (Ben Laurie)
Subject: The last word on the Linux Slapper worm

Schmehl, Paul L wrote:
> Interesting.  I patched openssl the day the patch was announced (using
> up2date.)  When the Slapper worm came out, I knew my system wasn't
> vulnerable, because I had already applied the patch on June 29th when it
> was released.  I'm not sure why there would have been confusion about
> whether or not your system might be vulnerable, since both the the
> vulnerability and the patch were publicly announced, but I suspect it
> had to do with the fact that (at least in the case of Red Hat) the
> *version* of openssl you're running is patched rather than updating to
> the latest version.
>
> On RH 7.2 (my system), for example, openssl is version 0.9.6b, but it's
> patched against this vulnerability.  All the advisories suggest updating
> to at least version 0.9.6e if not g, but they do not address the fact
> that your vendor may have patched previous versions.  I sent a post to
> bugtraq pointing that out, but it was never published.  Guess I'll just
> use this list from now on.

As I've pointed out elsewhere, patching old versions without changing
the version number is so stupid it leaves me boggling. But I guess in
future I'll write into advisories: "warning - your vendor may be such a
moron that you can't tell whether you are vulnerable or not by the
version number, so I advise building from source or switching to a
vendor with a clue".

Yeah, I know they bump some other number that if you know what you are
doing will indicate whether you are vulnerable. Obviously its impossible
for that information to get into the advisory.

In short, I don't see what you expect us to do about this, except to try
to get vendors to behave sensibly.

Cheers,

Ben.