From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: Re: Oracle Security Contact

Many ISP's and some corps now list an abuse@ address in their domain info.
sure would be nice to see vendors also include such security@ contact
addresses in their domain info, rather then make folks hunt and seek such
critical information all over the web.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Steven M. Christey wrote:

> On the full-disclosure list, low halo asked:
>
> >Could someone please give me the security contact address for Oracle
> >Corporation?  It seems as though their marketing department's
> >"Unbreakable" slogan makes them think that its OK to bury their
> >security advisories & contact info deep within their site somewhere.
>
> It's not immediately obvious when navigating from the www.oracle.com
> home page, but it's listed at:
> http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/alerts.htm
>
>   secalert_us@...cle.com
>
> I found this by doing a site search on "vulnerability," which led me
> to the advisory page.
>
> Very few vendor home pages (open/closed source, freeware or not) seem
> to make it easy to find a security contact, or advisory page, from the
> home page.
>
> Here's a quick look I just did from the home pages of various software
> providers.  Your Mileage May Vary.
>

> from www.microsoft.com: click on "Security" in the resources menu,
> click on "more bulletins and patches," go to "contact Microsoft
> security"
>
> from www.redhat.com: there's no "security" link on the front page.
> The "community resources" menu does not mention a security link.  The
> "support & docs" link asks for user registration, but there's an
> "errata" menu on the left hand side.  This gets us to a "security
> alerts" page but I don't see any security POC's there.  There's a
> "Bugzilla" link on the left hand menu, but this leads to the
> bugzilla.redhat.com web site, which requires registration.  The online
> security advisories don't seem to list a security contact.  The
> advisories, when posted to Bugtraq, come from bugzilla@...hat.com and
> not some security-specific email address.  But the advisory does list
> a PGP key at http://www.redhat.com/about/contact/pgpkey.html, which
> suggests that a security@...hat.com address is available.  On this PGP
> key page, there's a "Red Hat Security Resource Center" menu along with
> a "Security Contacts and Procedures" option.  Then I see that this was
> under the "Enterprise Solutions" web page, which could have been found
> from the www.redhat.com home page had I clicked on the "Enterprise
> Solutions" link instead of the "Support & Docs" link.
>
> from www.suse.de: click "security announcements" and the security
> contact is near the top of the page
>
> from www.debian.com: click "security information" which links to the
> "Debian security FAQ" which has a "How can I reach the security team?"
> question which points to security@...ian.org
>
> from www.sun.com: I have two main nagivation options, "solutions" or
> "support & training."  I'll try "solutions" since that would have
> worked for Red Hat.  There's a "security" option under "Consulting
> Services" but that's for, well, their consulting services.  But
> there's a "Related Links" whose first item is "Security" which gets us
> to the main security page, and its first link is for the security
> [...]

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.