From: joe at rootwars.org (Joe McCray)
Subject: Hacking competitions at RootWars.org

Game schedules are at: http://www.rootwars.org/schedule.html

RootWars.org Game Descriptions

LocalRoot

Each team will be given root access on a default install of Linux, and
access to my exploit FTP Server. The teams will be given a list of
target IP addresses, and a username/password for each target IP
address. You must telnet into, and locally exploit as many of the
targets as possible.

SpeedRoot

Each team will be given root access on a default install of Linux, and
access to my exploit FTP Server. The teams will be given a list of
target IP addresses. Your team must attempt to gain root access on as
many of the target IP addresses as possible in the allotted time. Teams
are not allowed to attack other teams in any way.

Rootwars

Each  team is given root access to a *nix server, access to my exploit
FTP Server, and a list of services that must be run. You have a grace
period to install, upgrade, patch, and secure your server. Once the
grace period is over other teams can attack your server, and you are
free to attack the other teams' servers as well. Everyone is free to
attempt almost any type of attack except a Denial of Service attack.

Jump on a box and play or just hang out in the irc channel.
Eclectic1