From: madsaxon at direcway.com (madsaxon)
Subject: RE: MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET
  BLOCK PORT 1434!

At 08:29 PM 1/25/03 -0500, Matt Smith wrote:
>Guys,
>     This puppy is FAR from harmless and I mean far, This SOB is gonna
>wind up worse than Code Red, Nimda, or even the great worm of '88.  I
>doubt very much the Morris Worm downed ENTIRE COUNTRIES, as Sapphire did
>to South Korea today.  Cyberterrorism has been spoken of for years.
>Well, guess what boys and girls, it's here, right now. :(.

OK, granted this thing is a nuisance, and it's sucking up bandwidth
like a sponge.  But...let's not get carried away and start labeling it
"cyberterrorism."  How many people have died today as a direct result of this
worm?  I'm not talking about someone who got hit by a car crossing the street
to look for another ATM.  How many have been injured?  How many
innocent victims have suffered long-term trauma? Have any demands
been issued?  Has any terrorist group claimed credit?  Has any real,
quantifiable physical damage been done?

I don't actually know the answers to any of the above questions.  But until
we do, or unless we want to change the definition of terrorism the way
we have, say, 'hacking,' let's try not to add to the FUD that's already
swirling madly around this issue...

M5x