From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: The worm author finally revealed!

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Mark Renouf wrote:

> futureshoks@...hmail.com said the following on 1/31/2003 7:53 AM:
>
>  > So saying that there is no excuse to patch blah blah blah doesn't
>  > hold true. We have to work within logistical boundaries and do
>  > what we can. What do you do if patching isn't viable, the systems
>  > have to stay up and development/test resources can't be commited
>  > to fixes? In this instance you block port 1434 if you can and
>  > hope to God that nothing bad happens.
>
> (Note: this is not directed personally at you, just an observation
> in general.)
>
> What I don't get, why the sudden urgency to block 1434 all of a
> sudden... what are your SQL boxes doing listening publicly on
> ANY FREAKIN PORT AT ALL? IMO not only should SQL boxes be not
> listenin to the internet, they should be firewalled even behind
> the DMZ, so you'd have to comprimise both the web servers and
> them to do anything nasty...
>
> This goes FAR beyond forgetting to install a simple patch, I think
> it shows just how many poeple out there have no port filtering
> in place and probably check off "full install" on their windows
> servers without a second thought.
>
> It also shows how many companies could give two shits about
> patching and firewalling important boxes internally. It only
> takes one. In our case we were infected by Corporate Central
> via the VPN tunnel. *sigh*

As mentioned in another list, all this trouble M$ folks have with
patching, and indeed it seems a carzy mess in the windows world, whence
various badly compiled patches will back you out of fixes from the privous
patch, as well as the issues of what thrid party software might do the
same as well as make you open to a potential vuln you weren't subject to
prior, sheesh the list goes one, we need to pity these porr windows
admins.  Russ Cooper had a few posts in ntbugtraq outlining the complexity
with just the windows base OS upgrades, let alone 3rd party stuff...

But, as goes port 1434, it should have been blocked in the first SQL go
round last summer when 1433 was the more active atack vector, but, there
were hints about 1434.  And outlines that even in this day, hardended
dmz/exposed machines as well as a strongly defined and maintained
perimiter are a must.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.