From: sven at telelev.net (Sven Hoexter)
Subject: RE: [tFull-Disclosure] SQL Server patch - why doesn't Windows update help?

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 05:22:32AM -0500, KF wrote:
> If you are too lazy to register make use of rpmfind.net

or use Conectivas apt port for rpm. It's working very well. I upgraded a
box from RH 7.1 -> 7.2 -> 7.3 while it was running without problems. Ok
upgrade from 7.3 -> 8.0 doesn't work with apt up the rest was quite impressive
for a machine running RH ;)

> Nicob wrote:
> >On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 12:27, John.Airey@...b.org.uk wrote:
> >

> >>Compare this to Red Hat Network. You can see at a glance whether your
> >>registered servers are up to date (from anywhere with Internet Access).
> >>There are probably other Linux distros that do the same.
> >

> >Red Hat is one of the worst distribution of Linux in terms of patches
> >and upgrades. You need to register (OK, it's free) to the Red Hat
> >Network, and dependencies are not handled very well.
> >
> >On Debian, to know if you're up-to-date :
> >
> >	apt-get update; apt-get upgrade -s
> >
> >To install the lastest fixes :
> >
> >	apt-get update; apt-get upgrade
> >
> >And in Debian, the fixes are back-ported. No added functionnality in the
> >soft that you're upgrading, so (a lot) less bad surprises ...
AFAIK the same applys to RH. What I dislike is that they've limited the free
sec support to only 12 month but that's buissnes and another topic.

Sven

FYI: http://moin.conectiva.com.br/AptRpm/

--
Revolution is not a dinner party, not an essay, nor a painting, nor a piece of
embroidery; it cannot be advanced softly, gradually, carefully, considerately,