From: DaveHowe at cmn.sharp-uk.co.uk (David Howe)
Subject: re: Global HIGH Security Risk

> What I did first was just to code an exploit for the vulnerable
> daemon and added a simple command sequence to write
> down to the server an uuencoded file using vi editor,
<snip the rest>
Erm - hate to tell you this, but this is how it is *normally* done. you
exploit a service using a 'sploit that requires only the open
internet-facing port (a buffer overflow is the usual vector) and throw
whatever you want down the link in whatever format it supports - often
you don't need uuencode if the channel is 8 bit clean (and almost all
are)
exploit code usually reads "kill main server if it still exists, open
new server on same port, receive future connnects from my IP address as
being filename, followed by length, followed by data; run any
executables and return the output to me as a reply to the download"
If you have found a previously unknown exploitable bug in a server
though - that is worth reporting.