From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: Hackers View Visa/MasterCard Accounts

Calling it a DoS might be a misnomer. It would look a lot more like a replay
attack. The damage one could do with the millions of card numbers and
expiration dates one could deduce from the seed list of 8 to 10 million
would be the greatest when e-commerce shopping is replayed -- at any and
every POS that accepts "card not present" transactions and ignores AVS.

Use people.yahoo.com to assemble a list of shoppers and wham-o, thousands of
merchants are busy shipping product, tens of thousands start to have
difficulty picking legitimate orders out of the noise. DoS would only occur
in the case of merchants who are incompetent at risk management to begin
with and just stop filling orders or choose to ignore orders where AVS
doesn't report a full match.

Jason Coombs
jasonc@...ence.org