From: yossarian at planet.nl (yossarian)
Subject: RE: [ISN] DARPA pulls OpenBSD funding

> In some mail from Paul Schmehl, sie said:
> >
> > But that's his privilege.  If he chooses to express his thoughts in that
> > way, he has every right to do so.  That's precisely what freedom is.
>
> But a person in so doing must be prepared to respect the rights and
> well being of others or in infringing upon them, be prepared to pay
> duely for it if suffering is endured by others and so we have laws
> that define libel, defamation, official secrecy acts, etc, that might
> seem to be at odds with "freedom of speech" but in essence, aim to
> uphold what it is there for in the first place - to make life better
> and easier for all.

Is "them" including corporate interests if they conflict with personal
freedom? Probably, since the companies = the shareholders = people.....
Are you including DMCA / Patriot Act / etc.? Is this including being
prepared for being put in the slammer since someone in uniform dislikes what
you put on your T-shirt? Funny how judicial people get to work around the
principle of freedom of speech. How many here went to law school? Speech is
not necessarily verbal.

BTW, whose wellbeing is suffering by Theo's statement? If you are that
sensitive, forget the Internet and travel abroad. This warmongering on every
internet platform is making the net a more dangerous place, since most
people have no power in real life, but find the idea of hacktivism
appealing - it feels like power. Anti-US feelings are fueled by these
things - whether on a security, a music, or whatever type of forum, it is
americans rambling off topic.

Can't we just get this over with, or will we have to wait till george is
re-elected?