From: tcannon at noops.org (Thomas Cannon)
Subject: List Direction and Future

Schmehl, Paul L said:

> OK.  Everyone else that feels compelled to tell the world that they are
> unsubscribing from this *unmoderated* list, please step forward and give
> your name, rank and serial number.  Let's get this over with quick.

But what fun is that? I mean, while it is patently moronic to add to the noise
that one is complaining about, can't we at least have one little diatribe
against everybody announcing that they're quitting the list? I mean -- every
week, sometimes even two or three times a week, some goober with nothing to
offer sends in some rant about how people don't stay on topic, about how so and
so is childish, or how the (largely imaginary) blackhats should overthrough the
(largely imaginary) whitehats. Each of these rants is near cut and paste of
the one before it, and they're always from people who just signed up and are
now threatening to leave unless the moderator steps in and takes over as sheriff
in this uncivilized wild west border town. After all, with a name like
"full-disclosure", which sounds vaguely like some old man in a trench coat
loitering outside a middle school, someone needs to step in, and we all know
we're just one more rant away from some Big Changes.

I don't think we can just have people piss their last, sending off some "that's
it -- I quit" as their one and only contribution to the list without someone
rattling their sabers and calling on the group to somehow chastize these people
in some grand way that can only be done here in cyberspace. For as we all know,
this is a serious place, and we're all very serious people, and if we don't
stick to the list charter nothing but chaos will ensue, and everybody will have
to go back to waiting for CERT to let you know how you were broken into 14
months ago.

I welcome all your auto-responses and vacation messages.

> Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
> Adjunct Information Security Officer
> The University of Texas at Dallas
> AVIEN Founding Member
> http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/

Cheers,

-tcannon

--
By the time you read this, I will be dead.