From: ercole at panix.com (Joseph Ercole)
Subject: Computer Sabotage by Microsoft

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 09:31:16PM -0400, Jay Sulzberger wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, James Patterson Wicks wrote:
>
> > Sounds like someone did not read the XBox Live! EULA.  What happens is
> > the X-Box displays a message that you cannot play on Live! until you go
> > to the download center.  If you agree to go to the download center, I
> > would think that you would expect a download.  All you have to do is not
> > agree and stay out of the download center, but then again, that would
> > kind of defeat the purpose of playing Live!  Since the new Live!
> > dashboard is the "hub" of communication for the XBox now, I do not see
> > the point of staying with the old dashboard and not being able to connect
> > to anyone.
>
> The point is that then you own your box, assuming you already have gained
> control of it using the old "dashboard".
>
> oo--JS.

This thread is making my head hurt. ;)

If you've "freed/hacked" your xbox - - - then using the xbox live
service is no longer possible.  This applies even with the (very neat)
dashboard/mechassault hack.  The guys working on it are trying to fix
this problem - - - the goal would be, naturally,
full-backwards-compatability.

If they're dealing with a non-liberated xbox, then I'm missing the
point.  Unless, I guess, if this is the first microsoft OS piece of
hardware someone owns.  Maybe he's never seen windows decide to go
right ahead and perform some crucial upgrades. . .

Quien Sabes?

j.