From: Azerail at supersecretninjaskills.com (Azerail)
Subject: Computer Sabotage by Microsoft

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Joseph Ercole wrote:

> This thread is making my head hurt. ;)
>
> If you've "freed/hacked" your xbox - - - then using the xbox live
> service is no longer possible.  This applies even with the (very neat)
> dashboard/mechassault hack.  The guys working on it are trying to fix
> this problem - - - the goal would be, naturally,
> full-backwards-compatability.
>
> If they're dealing with a non-liberated xbox, then I'm missing the
> point.  Unless, I guess, if this is the first microsoft OS piece of
> hardware someone owns.  Maybe he's never seen windows decide to go
> right ahead and perform some crucial upgrades. . .

What's the difference between you turning on your computer and having
to obtain an ip address to use the network and turning on your x-box
and having to obtain a software to use the network?  Yet, you don't
see users complaining when their ip address changes.

Or having an admin push virus/software updates to user machines.  When
we do it, it's called good admin'ing, and I'm sure we can all agree,
when admins do this, it means few headaches for everyone.  But when microsoft
does it, it's "sabotage".

Besides, we are all security professionals, in one way or another.  If
you didn't take steps to protect your machines from hostile invaders,
it's your own fault.

Not saying I disagree with you, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Azerail

--
To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.