From: etomcat at freemail.hu (Feher Tamas)
Subject: RE: Linux (in)security

Hello,

>I can determine when a Windows box has been owned easily.
>How do you determine if you have a KLM on your Linux box?

On both occasions, you need to shut down the computer and boot it
from an alternative source (like CD-ROM with MS-DOS), then load
drivers for the file system (NTFS, EXT2, ReiserFS, etc.) and then run a
virus scanner.

Or just relocate the suspect hard drive into another known clean
machine and perform virus scanning with your favourite Windows/Unix
antivirus software.

It is a fact of life that certain sophisticated Windows and Un*x root kits
cannot be detected in runtime any more after they were installed. You
must shut down the OS and investigate using an external standpoint,
that is an alternative OS boot. (*)

Here is an article about sophisticated Windows Rootkits, they are now
truly en par with their Un*x conterparts:
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/2879

Sincerely: Tamas Feher.

(*)
PS: It should be noted that some true server machines, like the IBM
AS/400 have alternative boot path support by factory default. Un*x and
Windows has a long way to go regarding reliability and security
measures before they can catch IBM's monsters.