From: pwicks at oxygen.com (James Patterson Wicks)
Subject: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day,
 help the cause

And we all know that there are no flaws in Linux security, right?

Security group warns of hole in Linux kernel - http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/01/05/HNlinuxhole_1.html

Flaws raise red flag on Linux security - http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/ECE4790310BB04F7CC256E1900083AC2?OpenDocument

Hackers Attack Debian Linux - http://enterprise-linux-it.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Hackers_Attack_Debian_Linux&story_id=22748&category=distributions

I could go on, but you all get the picture . . . .

Is Linux by nature more secure than Windows?  Of course.
Are any operating systems totally secure and without flaws?  Of course not.
Can an average user set up and operate a Linux desktop easier than a Windows desktop?  Of course not.  The functionality that Windows desktops users are accustomed to is not easily duplicated in Linux desktops, especially when it comes to video editing software and games.

Many people jumping on their soapboxes calling Windows everything but a child of God have something in common - they are very good at using Linux and have found a way to function in the home and/or work environment without it.  It does not take a rocket scientist to use a Linux system, but it takes a lot longer to learn to use Linux effectively than it does Windows.  That is time that businesses and home users are not willing to commit to.  And yes, that unwillingness comes at a cost - security.

Bill Gates created an imperfect product, rushed it to market and dominated the market.  He continues to make a product that focuses on ease-of-use rather than security.  Does he suck for having suck a awful business focus?  Yes, but then again he's a billionaire and I'm begging the boss to pay for a better hotel at the Networker conference.

The reason Windows is so popular is that the average Joe can go to Walmart, buy a complete Windows XP PC for about $500 and send out an e-mail in about an hour.  Is his system fully secure out of the box?  Heck no, no system is.  You have to work to secure any operating system, you just need more skill/training to secure a Linux system.

What does Joe have to do to make his Windows XP system somewhat secure?
	- Install a personal firewall (with basic IDS features)
	- Install an anti-virus program
	- Apply all of the critical updates
	- Install an anti-spyware application like Spybot or Ad-Aware
	- Make sure that his computer, firewall, anti-spyware and anti-virus applications stay updated.

Now, does the average Windows user do this?  Of course not.
Since the average user fails to perform basic maintenance and software updates on a Windows-based system, just how in the heck do you expect him to learn Linux command-line syntax and how to compile an Linux operating system when new kernel flaws are found?  Can he use the web and an x-windows interface to secure his system?  Possibly, but to suggest that you can properly secure a Linux system without using the command-line interface is being coy and deceptive.

This whole "Linux is the answer for the average home user" is a fantasy.  If Grandma Bessie in the mountains of West Virginia has to take a couple if Linux classes at the local community college just to email her grandkids, then I think that she might just opt to just call them on Sundays.

While I feel this whole "Personal Firewall Day" is just some marketing gimmick, I do feel there is still a need to educate Windows OS users on what basic home computer security is about.

And how to download the Mozilla browser . . . .
;)