From: mlachniet at sequoianet.com (Lachniet, Mark)
Subject: Openssl proof of concept code? / Neoteris

Good idea..  I will look at that approach.

This is, BTW, more or less what the Nessus ssltest.nasl does - it has
its own built-in cert and offers it up without solicitation.  If the
server takes it (don't know about parsing it) it will flag it as
vulnerable.  If it doesn't take it, it calls it good.  That doesn't
actually address the "what if" of what happens if you actually *do* need
a valid client cert to hit the page - in this event, you get a false
positive hit because it will take the client cert anyway.

One thing I did (perhaps naively) try was to use openssl to generate a
PEM with funky data (a lot of !@#$ type stuff in all the fields).  I
then took that PEM and manually replaced chunks of valid cert info with
random data with VI to make the certificate even LESS likely to work.  I
then used that cert with STUNNEL and connected to the target device with
netcat, and manually issued some HTTP GET commands.  Strangely, it
worked like a charm, and even established a valid SSL session with my
very broken cert.  Granted, thats not exactly broken ASN.1 encoding, but
its awfully broken as far as certs go.  I'm amazed it could set up an
SSL connection with the server with a corrupt cert like that.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write out that verbose
description.  The example server-side messages will be helpful.

Mark Lachniet