From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: Anti-MS drivel

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:47:44 EST, James Patterson Wicks <pwicks@...gen.com>  said:

> Linux is just not ready for prime time.  By prime time I mean on the
> homes of the American public.  Regular home consumers don't want to have
> to learn a new language to use e-mail or play games.  They want to be
> able to update a security hole without having to compile something.

Well.. if you're on a RedHat box, you run up2date and it gives you a nice little
gui to download and install the RPMs.  Even gives you a flashing exclamation point
on the menu bar if there's updates available.  You're on Debian, you 'apt-get'
the updates, and I'm sure there's a gui for that too.

The only people who have to compile anything are the people who compiled it
from source the first time.  And in fact, that's the whole *point* of a Linux
DISTRIBUTION - so you don't have to run Linux-from-scratch.

Linux isn't quite ready for Aunt Tilley yet.  But having to compile stuff to
install patches isn't one of the reasons.